The water, wastewater and stormwater sector should be reformed, including by:
- Implementing performance-based economic regulation and water quality regulation to ensure that water providers are incentivised to drive efficiency and deliver excellent customer service.
- Ensuring that there’s a clear link between the cost of providing water services and the prices that are charged to users, following the principles in Section 7.2.
- Allowing entities to use their balance sheet capacity to finance infrastructure for growth, as well as funding asset renewals and improvements in water quality.
- Clarifying the interface between water service entities and developer-financed water infrastructure provided under the Infrastructure Funding and Financing Act 2020.
- Ensuring that developers can benefit appropriately from the provision of infrastructure that has spare capacity.
- Developing cost-benefit analysis guidelines to standardise evaluation decisions on water infrastructure against social, environmental and economic benefits.
The latest news and progress for this recommendation.