Improve development opportunities in areas already well served by infrastructure by:
- Accelerating the implementation of the National Policy Statement on Urban Development and monitoring compliance, including requirements to upzone around rapid-transit and employment centres.
- Enabling greater urban development, including requirements for minimum levels of mixed-use zoning and upzoning.
- Prioritising provision of human necessities, such as housing, over preservation of subjective preferences (e.g. heritage, character and amenity).
- Using national direction to set binding targets for increased housing and business capacity commensurate with future growth expectations, guided by land prices in high-demand areas.
Adopting independent hearings panels to review district plan changes.
- Local Government
- Manatū Mō Te Taiao | Ministry for the Environment
- Te Tūāpapa Kura Kāinga | Ministry of Housing and Urban Development
The latest news and progress for this recommendation.