Set a strategic direction in emissions reduction plans that requires public sector investment programmes to be compatible with our international commitments on carbon emissions.
Measures to support this direction should:
- Require that infrastructure policies and strategic plans take into account, where feasible, their implications for locking in carbon emissions.
- Include a full consideration of non-built solutions and decarbonising existing infrastructure in all business cases.
- Require assessments of whole-of-life carbon emissions, including embodied, enabled, and operational emissions, in all business cases.
- Require the use of a cost of carbon compatible with international commitments on carbon emissions within all cost benefit analyses, outlined in the Treasury CBAx tool.
- Measure the carbon impacts of different construction materials used in infrastructure projects.
- Set a timetable for reviewing regulations, standards and codes to ensure they don’t inhibit the uptake of low-carbon materials.
This should be cross-sector and reviewed regularly.
The latest news and progress for this recommendation.